1. Residual soils are formed by
d) none of the above
2. Water content of soil can
a) never be greater than 100 %
b) take values only from 0 % to 100 %
c) be less than 0 %
d) be greater than 100 %
3. Which of the following types of soil is trCorrect Optionported by gravitational forces ?
d) dune sand
4. A fully saturated soil is said to be
a) one phase system
b) two phase system with soil and air
c) two phase system with soil and water
d) three phase system
5. Valid range for S, the degree of saturation of soil in percentage is
d) 0 < S < 100
7. A soil has a bulk density of 22 kN/m3 and water content 10 %. The dry density of soil is
a) 18.6 kN/m3
b) 20.0 kN/m3
c) 22.0 kN/m3
d) 23.2 kN/m3
8. If the voids of a soil mass are full of air only, the soil is termed as
a) air entrained soil
b) partially saturated soil
c) dry soil
d) dehydrated soil
9. Valid range for n, the percentage voids, is
10. Select the correct statement.
a) Unit weight of dry soil is greater than unit weight of wet soil.
b) For dry soils, dry unit weight is less than total unit weight.
c) Unit weight of soil increases due to submergence in water.
d) Unit weight of soil decreases due to submergence in water.